Monday, March 20, 2017

How I Chose My Major - a #collegeseries


In a blink of sight I have reached my wonderful 4th semester of college year. It is always fascinating for me every time I look back and see things that have happened during freshmen year! Seems like it was just filled with curiosity and anxiety of how my future will be. However as time passed, each awkwardness has been settled down now and I am more relaxed to face unexpected issue.

But far before I enrolled to university, I had grown bigger anxiety than it was during college’s freshmen year.

As a first child raised by an average parents who lived in countryside, I had not much general knowledge about what university is and how I could enter it. I used to study by my own and barely rely to my parents about life outside the city. So the thought of enrolling to university only came to my mind, not my parents’. I found the way by myself and luckily, along the way I got assisted by wonderful consultants at my high school (I owed them much!).

To explain the process of getting into university will be a long story, which soon I will post it in a different time. So for today, I will tell you the episode of how I chose my major and how it had helped me in many ways to stay stable at college.

Picking up a major has always been an overwhelming task for many of us – so do I. I still remember clearly how perplexed I was when our senior class was occupied to pick one of many subjects written at a brochure. It was a brochure of well-known university next town. Knowing that it could be a good beginning, I discussed it with students’ consultant.

I could not imagine what would happen to me now if I never contacted them to give me long yet complete information about what college is. I always thanked them for being there in their cubicles, was prepared to answer each questions students had – although some of it might be silly to be heard – even though lunch time had arrived.

                Ask your school’s students’ consultant any information regarding universities which they have in their connection list and jot them down. Bring home some brochures will be good too for future reference.

The brochures were provided with dense information about general stuff I had to know firstly. For example, I was handed with A University’s brochure. What I glared at first was its major list part and checked if any had fit my interest.

Oh, I should’ve told you about this earlier. I had always been interested in English and its literature – actually, I had been always attracted to learn foreign language. When I uttered this to my consultant (whom I will call by Mrs. M from now on for easier spelling), she said that it was a good choice since I always got quite satisfying score about that subject. She added one more thing that I had to know that to be able to ace the university entry test, I had to have required score on major that I would pick later. In my case, it was the English major that I would choose.

A strong statement that I still remember today was come from Mr. I, a senior consultant at my school. He stated that a skill would outgrow less without the help of big interest. He said it would be dangerous if an individual got to major he was mastered but never been able to get along the way because he had no passion in it.

Pick a major you have always been interested in and pay attention to your study report card. Look at the related subject during high school and think whether the score will aid you to pass the entry test or not. If it is still inadequate, seek for complementary score which may come from winning a competition related to the major that will be picked.

I thanked myself for studying so hard that it made me easier to join the entry test. Since my score was adequate enough to assist me getting in the major I desired, I was not too nervous compared to some friends of mine who had to struggle further mile. (Result never betrays your effort!)

Next I browsed for university which had the major I desired in and paid attention to other requirements needed. While I knew being a dreamer was a good thing, but in the end Alexander the Great himself was getting further instead from his primary goal. I had to keep realistic when it came to choose a university since this would be the beginning of my journey to have a better future, wasn’t it?

Which aspect that I really put concern on while picking a university?

There were not much, actually. One thing I was really worried about was the tuition fee. Luckily I was assisted by a scholarship from a local government so that my worry had been totally erased. But as for those who sadly aren’t able to get any scholarship, I suggest you to pick one university among your list which offers you less tuition fee and/or provides you with various scholarship programs. Even though you have a wealthy family background, but no one knows what will happen in the future.

You may be on top right now, but in the lowest position of social ladder the next morning. Scary, isn’t it?

I was very relieved when I was chosen to receive the scholarship since it really helped my family up to today to save money on the other needs.

Choose a university which offers less tuition fee, better if it can assist you on giving student debt loan or providing you with various scholarship programs.

It was not always an easy path to be walked in, I meant, enrolling in English Department. In the middle of my journey there had been countless people who restlessly asked me disrespectful questions, such as “what will you be then?” or “how much will you get if you become an A/B/C after graduating?”. People would always look down on me after knowing my major. However that would not discourage me easily because I had been extremely devoted in this subject I chose and I could not imagine there would be a day I regretted my decision.

I am lucky enough to have a very supportive parents who let me live my dream – not theirs, since I heard there are many parents outside there who burdens their children by asking them to live their unrequited youth dreams. I always thank them for letting me be responsible of my choice and not interrupting me on my way.

Be sure of your choice and don’t let any negative comments discourage you. People may roughly suggest you one or two things, but don’t let it ruin your plan. This struggle is about you, not them.


That has been my explanation about how I chose my major and how I manage to stay strong on standing in this path I have chosen. I know the struggle will never be easy – since I have even been there too! – but I am sure there is nothing can take us down if we are really willing to fulfill our dream. I hope my post can give you an insight on how to choose your major at university, and if it is possible, to encourage you to be sure about your decision! Good luck, freshmen!

What about you? What do you have in mind to be concerned when it comes about choosing a major at university?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I appreciate each and every single one of them! ♥